Sunday, May 18, 2008

Article #1.....ALWAYS ON LEARNING STYLES

Got iPods? I have to admit, once I read this article, especially the section about ipods, my curiosity was piqued. I did not know what the program consisted of, but anything that includes the use of ipods has to be good. Right? It was very smart of the university to do such a thing. In today's society, ipods are all around us. What better way to relay information to it's students, than putting it on a device that they would probably already use. As mentioned in the article, students have the convenience of having lots of information (academic calendar, lectures, lessons, etc.) literally at their fingertips. I would have really enjoyed attending a university that implemented this program.
On the other hand, as I go along throughout my daily routine, it seems that everywhere I turn someone (regardless of age) has an ipod with them. Just the other day at a restaurant, my wife and I were sat near another family; a dad, mom,two kids, and a set of grandparents. Throughout their meal they talked and exchanged stories, except for the young girl, probably junior high age. During the entire meal time she listed to and fiddled with her ipod. I thought to myself, is this what it's coming to. As a read this article, I envisioned a school campus where the majority of the students would be wandering around, with their ear buds in place, not interacting with one another. I will be the first to admit, that I really enjoy my own ipod, along with all the other technology items I own, but I also feel that I do not allow them to control me. Allowing the Duke students to manage so much of their school life on their ipods is great. I just hope that programs like these do not take away the important peer interaction that college aged students, and many others, so desperately need.

No comments: